I turned the big 22 last week and couldn’t let the occasion fly by without whipping up a birthday cake!
This beetroot beauty was moist and so tasty (if I do say so myself)! Give it a go…
All you need:
- 4 large beetroots
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 cups (300g) ground almonds (this can be substituted partly for rye or glutenfree flour)
- 2/3 (80g) cup raw cacao powder
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Cream cheese frosting:
- 250g soft cheese
- 1/4 unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160 C and line two circular cake tins with baking parchment.
- Blend the beetroot and eggs together in a blender. Add the rest of the of the ingredients and blend to form a smooth batter.
- Pour equally into the cake tins and bake for 30 minutes until the knife comes out clean.
- Once cooked let the cake cool and begin making the cheese frosting.
- Blend the soft cheese and butter together. Add the rest of the ingredients and add extra lemon juice if it’s too thick.
- Add to the middle and top of the cake and enjoy!
Optional: grate dark chocolate on the top.
And voila! A birthday treat! X