I love Easter.. A time to over-indulge over a long weekend and no one’s allowed to question it! These almond hot cross buns are a perfect gluten-free substitute to their predecessors and may actually be even better…
All you need:
- 2 cups of ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp mixed lemon and orange zest
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 egg
For the crosses:
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (unsalted butter also works)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 175 C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground almonds, baking soda, raisins, cinnamon, lemon and orange zest. Combine until mixed well.
- In another bowl add the honey, water and one egg. Whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Knead with your hands if necessary to develop a dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball with your hands and place on a lined baking tray. Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand. Cut a cross shape about 1/4 inch deep into the top of each bun with a sharp knife.
- Bake the buns for approximately 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Leave to cool and make the icing.
- For the icing: combine the butter, coconut oil and honey in a small bowl and beat together with an electric mixer until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into crosses on the buns (use a piping bag if you’re looking for perfection).
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Happy Easter! Look out for our RE-TOX week commencing Tuesday 29th March, where we will be posting new smoothie bowl recipes to help you detox after the Easter Weekend indulgence!